Prominent Detroit priest removed from public ministry after 'credible allegation' of sexually abusing child decades ago

image7

DETROIT (CCN) — Allegations that first surfaced more than a month ago during an investigation by the Associated Press resulted in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit removing a prominent priest from public ministry on Sunday. Law enforcement authorities have joined the investigation, according to a Detroit News story about a former altar boy's allegations that the Rev. Eduard Perrone groped him decades ago.


A statement on Sunday by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit described the situation as a "credible allegation” that he had sexually abused the child decades ago. He is now prohibited from representing himself as a priest or wearing clerical attire while the Vatican reviews the allegations, according to the written statement obtained by the Detroit News.


The newspaper reported that Archdiocese officials told the Rev. Perrone’s congregation at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish during services Sunday that members of the local archdiocese review board found a “semblance of truth” to the accusations, but that they are maintaining a presumption of innocence. 


 The statement also said the allegation had been reported to local law enforcement and to the Michigan AttorneyGeneral’s office which has an open investigation into clergy abuse in the Catholic Church in Michigan. New AG Dana Nessel charged five priests with a combined 21 counts of sexual misconduct she announced during a press conference in May. 


Rev. Perrone co-founded a non-profit group called Opus Bono Sacerdotii in 2002 to support priests facing allegations of abuse. He denied allegations by the former altar boy when asked about it by the AP last month.


Shri Thanedar moving to Detroit for possible run at Mayor Mike Duggan in 2021 or sooner depending on recall?

image8

ANN ARBOR (CCN) — The Detroit News reported in its online edition Sunday night that former gubernatorial candidate Shri Thanedar is planning to move to Detroit's historic Palmer Woods neighborhood for a possible run at Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan. The Ann Arbor businessman ran for governor in 2018 and lost in the primary to eventual winner Gretchen Whitmer.


Thanedar is a millionaire businessman who currently lives in Ann Arbor.  He could challenge Mayor Duggan in 2021 or earlier if a current recall to remove him from office is successful. Mayor Duggan won re-election in 2017 by a landslide margin over former State Senator Coleman A. Young II. He won four years earlier as a write-in against Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon.


Thanedar told the Detroit News that he may consider running for another position, including the possibility of taking aim at a seat in the State Legislature.


“I will try to help people in whatever position I can succeed,” Thanedar told the Detroit News. “But the goal is to begin to work with the community and make a difference.”


Congress member from Holly releases press statement on continued reports of squalid conditions at southern border

image9

HOLLY (CCN) —  U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin issued a statement prior to the Fouth of July holiday weekend to address continued reports of squalid conditions for migrant detainees, including children, at the southern border with Mexico.  The Holly woman represents Michigan's 8th Congressional District that includes  Ingham County, Livingston County and North Oakland County. Her press release also addressed reports of inappropriate behavior on the part of some Customs and Border Patrol agents. Her statement was as follows:


 “The images in the media from the southern border confirm what we already know: that large numbers of people are coming over the border and migrant families are being held in shameful, inhumane conditions. Last week, I voted for two supplemental funding bills with money to provide, among other things, for the basic necessities detained migrant children have been denied. The House bill, which I voted for, was the stronger bill. The Senate passed its own, separate bill, 84 to 8. Unfortunately, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused to even consider the House’s version. 

When the Senate’s bill came to the House for a vote, many of my colleagues voted against it due to fears over its lack of oversight measures. I understand and respect those concerns. However, I felt that we simply could not let the funding for these migrant children run out in early July, as it would have without a bill passed. What is happening at our border required an immediate response, in my view, and while the Senate’s bill was not as strong as I wanted, I felt it was important to start moving money to the border as soon as possible, and so I voted in support. I will work with my colleagues on the Homeland Security Committee to ensure the money is spent as it was intended. I also will be traveling to our southern border as part of a bipartisan delegation later this month to see the conditions there for myself. Many people in my district feel passionately about protecting our borders. I strongly believe in border security, and I believe that our immigration system is broken and requires a major overhaul. But let me be clear: There is no rationale that excuses how our government is treating the migrants, in particular the migrant children, currently in its care. We must do better. Finally, I am deeply troubled by the reports of the behavior by some of our border officers toward migrants, as well as toward some of my House colleagues. Any official paid by taxpayer dollars is bound by a code of conduct and is subject to the Hatch Act, which prohibits any political activity or overt political bias in a workplace setting. I expect leadership at Customs and Border Patrol to not only condemn any misconduct, but to hold accountable any officers engaging in inappropriate behavior.”

 

TV 7 camera man charged with 2 others in beating death of 24-year-old Auburn Hills man in Warren parking lot

 WARREN (CCN) — A camera man at WXYZ TV 7 in Detroit was among three suspects arraigned Friday in the beating death of a 24-year-old Auburn Hills man early Thursday in a Warren parking lot, according to court records. The trio is accused of fatally beating Kenneth Klinger to death after an argument that started in a moving vehicle. Police said Klingler died of blunt force trauma to his head, according to a story in the Oakland Press. Charged with manslaughter are 23-year-olds Christ Zehnphennig and Chris Twarowski of Warren and 25-year-old Thomas Domagalski of Hazel Park.


The three men were arraigned Friday in front of Oakland County 37th District Court  Judge  John Chmura who ordered them held on bond. They face up to 15 years in prison, if convicted. Zehnphennig, who works at TV 7, was ordered held on a $50,000 bond while $75,000 bonds were ordered by the judge for his co-defendants, according to court records.


Zehnphennig was the driver of the vehicle, according to the Oakland Press story. The newspaper reported that Zehnphennig and his co-defendants met Klingler at a Fourth of July party in Troy.  Attorney  attorney Robbie Lang has been retained to represent Zehnphennig who has no prior criminal record, according to court records.

28-year-old mother missing since Tuesday found dead Sunday in Ferndale; Police not releasing any details yet

FERNDALE (CCN) — Ferndale police issued a press release on Sunday to announce that a missing 28-year-old mother from their city has been found dead. She had been reported missing by a friend on Tuesday.


Sgt. Baron Brown of the Ferndale Police Department said Liy Camara's death "appears to be a homicide."


No details were released about where Camara's body was found but asked for tips to find her black 2017 Ford Edge with Michigan license plate DQX9931. Anyone with information about the vehicle is asked to contact the Ferndale Police Department at (248) 541-3650 or to call Crime Stoppers at 800-SPEAK UP. 


The statement released Sunday afternoon by Ferndale police officials was as follows: " We were informed today that a body has been located and positively identified as Lily Camara. In the coming days, we will work collaboratively with our law-enforcement partners to determine what happened and bring those responsible to justice. This is an open and active investigation. No further statements will be made so as not to just jeopardize this investigation."

Congresswoman from Holly to host public forum on impact of PFAS chemicals Monday in Pinckney

 PONTIAC (CCN) —  A member of Congress from Holly will be hosting a public forum on Monday, July 8 to discuss the impact of PFAS chemicals. U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin will be joined at the event by Steve Sliver who is Executive Director of the Michigan PFAS Response Team, Dan Brown from the Huron River Watershed Council and Matt Bolang who is Director of Environmental Health at the Livingston County Health Department.  


The public froum event will be from 6:30 pm until 8 pm at the Jane Tasch Performing Arts Center in Pinckney which is located at 2100 M-36.  The group will touch on topics related to the federal-level and state-level efforts aimed at removing harmful chemicals from state waterways. PFAS, a class of chemicals once used in manufacturing and firefighting foams, are commonly found in many household products and in both fish and wildlife. PFAS chemicals have been linked to various serious health problems, including cancer.


Rep. Slotkin introduced a bill in May known as the PFAS Monitoring Act that would require public water systems to do more extensive testing for PFAS chemicals. 

Bank robber in Clawson gives up after seeing 'so many police cars'

CLAWSON (CCN) — A bank robbery suspect is expected to be arraigned on Monday, July 8 in Clawson. The Detroit Free Press reported that the suspect told police he decided to give up after seeing "so many police cars."


He robbed Key Bank on W. 14 Mile Road at about 11:40 am Saturday (July 6) and immediately had police cruisers chasing him from both Clawson and Troy, according to the Free Press story. The newspaper also reported that the suspect gave up in a backyard after fleeing his vehicle, saying police recovered a gun and all the stole cash after he had handed a teller a note revealing that he had a gun and wanted all their money.



President at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland honored with state healthcare award

PONTIAC (CCN) — The president of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital in Pontiac has been honored by the Michigan Health & Hospital Association with a healthcare leadership award. Shannon Striebich was honored for her work in expanding the hospital’s footprint.


Striebich, who has been president of the hospital since 2016, was one of only two hospital executives in Michigan to receive the award from the organization this year. St. Joseph Mercy Oakland, which employs about 2,500 people, has had more than $300 million in renovations during the past three years under Striebich's leadership. Projects have included building a new $145 million patient tower and a $60 million surgical pavilion along with opening a nnw imaging center in Clarkston in 2016 and the new $2.4 million Waterford Medical Complex last month.


Arkansas man suffers life-threatening injury in Bay City plane crash

BAY CITY (CCN) — A man from Arkansas suffered life threatening injuries in a plane crash Saturday night (July 6) in Bay City, according to a report by WJRT ABC TV 12. The plane crashed at James Clements Airport at about 8:40 pm, according to the TV 12 story.


CLICK HERE FOR MORE STATE NEWS STORIES