LIFE SECTIoN / FORMER BASEBALL STAR A-ROD PROPOSES TO J-LO!

image30

Marriage talk after J-Lo's appearance on Ellen TV show followed by A-Rod proposal

BAHAMAS (CCN) — Ellen DeGeneres asked why her former baseball star boyfriend hasn't yet asked Jennifer Lopez to marry her during the superstar entertainer's appeared Friday afternoon on the nationally syndicated Ellen TV show. 


Alex Rodriguez proposed the next day during a vacation in the Bahamas, according to an Instagram post by Lopez to her audience of more than 88 million followers. She showed off the million dollar engagement ring Rodriguez gave her.

Rodriguez posted a photo on the beach with his new fiance during the luxury vacation getaway to celebrate their second anniversary as a couple.


Rodriguez, nicknamed A-Rod, was one of the greatest players of all-time during a 22-year career in Major League Baseball with the Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers and New York Yankees. He retired after the 2016 season with the all-time record with 25 career grand slam home runs. He hit 696 homers with a .295 career batting average and became the only player in big league history to surpass 600 home runs, 2,000 RBI's, 3,000 hits, 2,000 runs scored and 300 stolen bases. He was a 14-time All-Star Game selection and won three American League Most Valuable Player awards.


Rodriguez signed two of the highest-paid contracts in sports history and different sources have placed his net worth at more than $300 million. Lopez is one of the highest-paid celebrities with Forbes putting her 2017 earnings at $38 million and Celebrity Net Worth has placed her net worth in excess of $400 million.


16 felony counts filed against star of Fox TV hit series Empire for alleged fake mugging, hate crime report

image31

  LOS ANGELES (CCN) —  

Fox TV hit series Empire removes Jussie Smollett from remaining Series 5 episodes after arrest

image32

 LOS ANGELES (CCN) — Actor Jussie Smollett has been removed from the remaining episodes of this season's shows for the Fox TV hit Empire, according to a statement by series executives. Smollett was arrested on Thursday morning after Chicago police say he allegedly paid two individuals to stage a fake mugging.

Smollett said he was attacked by two Trump supporters who told him he was "in MAGA country" while yelling racial slurs and making homophobic comments. Smollett also claimed the pair threw bleach on him and left a noose around his neck.


Chicago police say Smollett wrote a $3,500 check to one of the individuals identified in a surveillance video walking near the scene of the alleged attack. They were also identified on a store video when buying ski masks, bleach and rope. Smollett has denied the attack was a hoax and was released on $100,000 bond Thursday night. Series executives for the TV show said Smollett will be removed from appearing in any remaining Series 5 episodes not yet filmed.


A statement from series executives Lee Daniels, Danny Strong, Brett Mahoney, Brian Grazer, Sanaa Hamri, Francie Calfo and Dennis Hammer was as follows: “Jussie has been an important member of our ‘Empire’ family for the past five years and we care about him deeply. While these allegations are very disturbing, we are placing our trust in the legal system as the process plays out. We are also aware of the effects of this process on the cast and crew members who work on our show and to avoid further disruption on set, we have decided to remove the role of ‘Jamal’ from the final two episodes of the season.” The same executives had previously stood behind Smollett, calling him a "consummate professional” but announced after the arrest on Thursday that they were “evaluating the situation” and “considering (their) options.”

Fox TV hit series Empire removes Jussie Smollett from remaining Series 5 episodes after arrest

image33

LOS ANGELES (CCN) — Actor Jussie Smollett has been removed from the remaining episodes of this season's shows for the Fox TV hit Empire, according to a statement by series executives. Smollett was arrested on Thursday morning after Chicago police say he allegedly paid two individuals to stage a fake mugging.

Smollett said he was attacked by two Trump supporters who told him he was "in MAGA country" while yelling racial slurs and making homophobic comments. Smollett also claimed the pair threw bleach on him and left a noose around his neck.


Chicago police say Smollett wrote a $3,500 check to one of the individuals identified in a surveillance video walking near the scene of the alleged attack. They were also identified on a store video when buying ski masks, bleach and rope. Smollett has denied the attack was a hoax and was released on $100,000 bond Thursday night. Series executives for the TV show said Smollett will be removed from appearing in any remaining Series 5 episodes not yet filmed.


A statement from series executives Lee Daniels, Danny Strong, Brett Mahoney, Brian Grazer, Sanaa Hamri, Francie Calfo and Dennis Hammer was as follows: “Jussie has been an important member of our ‘Empire’ family for the past five years and we care about him deeply. While these allegations are very disturbing, we are placing our trust in the legal system as the process plays out. We are also aware of the effects of this process on the cast and crew members who work on our show and to avoid further disruption on set, we have decided to remove the role of ‘Jamal’ from the final two episodes of the season.” The same executives had previously stood behind Smollett, calling him a "consummate professional” but announced after the arrest on Thursday that they were “evaluating the situation” and “considering (their) options.”

Charlie LeDuff back on Detroit's air waves but on radio at 910 AM Superstation

image34

DETROIT (CCN) — Charlie LeDuff is back on Detroit's air waves. The former Fox 2 Detroit reporter, one of the most colorful and well known media members in the state during his career, has landed a radio show on 910 AM Superstation. CEO Kevin Adel made the announcement this week that LeDuff will take over the 4 o'clock afternoon slot with a one-hour program to be known as the "No BS News Hour." LeDuff is a former Pulitzer Prize winner with the New York Times and Detroit Free Press. LeDuff left Fox 2 Detroit after six years in November of 2016 and has been a contributor since then to HBO's Vice News and to Dateline Detroit.

Award-winning chef bringing his restaurant chain to Birmingham's historic Ford-Peabody mansion

image35

BIRMINGHAM (CCN) — A Boston-based restaurateur is expanding his chain to Birmingham. Michael Schlow, who has 11 restaurants in the Boston and Washington D.C. areas, is launching a modern Japanese restaurant at Birmingham's historic Ford-Peabody mansion with partners Clint Mansour and Kenny Koza. Mansour is a real estate developer and Koza is a hotel owner. Day-to-day kitchen operations will be led by Jamaican-born chef Lloyd Roberts.  Schlow won the Food & Wine Best New Chef award in 1996 and won the Best Chef: Northeast James Beard Award in 2000. He has appeared on TV shows known as Top Chef Masters, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and The Rachel Ray Show.  

Making a Murder 2 to follow appeals for pair made famous by Netflix documentary

image36

 MADISON, WISCONSIN (CCN) — Netflix has announced an Oct. 19 release of a sequel to its popular “Making a Murderer” documentary series. The sequel follows the appeals of Steven Avery and his nephew, Brendan Dassey, who were convicted and sentenced to life in prison for the 2005 murder of Madison photographer Teresa Halbach who was found in a salvage yard owned by Avery's family. Avery insists police framed him and Dassey argued that police detectives coerced him into a false confession about helping Avery rape and kill Halbach. 

Bill Cosby handcuffed, taken away to prison after getting sentence of 3 to 10 years by Pennsylvania

image37

NORRISTOWN, PENN. (CCN) — Actor Bill Cosby was handcuffed and taken away to prison Monday afternoon after a Pennsylvania judge handed down a sentence of 3 to 10 years and called him a "violent sexual predator." Cosby, 81, had been free on bond since a conviction last April on sexual assault charges after dozens of women came forward to accuse him of drugging and raping them. It was the first trial in the so-called "Me Too" movement.