Stay connected, stay informed with CCN

CCN RADIO     CCN 90 TV     CCN DIGITAL   


SPORTS     STATE     NATION & WORLD     BUSINESS NEWS      LIFE     VIEWPOINTS

Prominent Detroit priest removed from public ministry after 'credible allegation' of sexually abusing child decades ago

image12

 DETROIT (CCN) — Allegations that first surfaced more than a month ago during an investigation by the Associated Press resulted in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit removing a prominent priest from public ministry on Sunday. Law enforcement authorities have joined the investigation, according to a Detroit News story about a former altar boy's allegations that the Rev. Eduard Perrone groped him decades ago.


A statement on Sunday by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit described the situation as a "credible allegation” that he had sexually abused the child decades ago. He is now prohibited from representing himself as a priest or wearing clerical attire while the Vatican reviews the allegations, according to the written statement obtained by the Detroit News.


The newspaper reported that Archdiocese officials told the Rev. Perrone’s congregation at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish during services Sunday that members of the local archdiocese review board found a “semblance of truth” to the accusations, but that they are maintaining a presumption of innocence. 


 The statement also said the allegation had been reported to local law enforcement and to the Michigan AttorneyGeneral’s office which has an open investigation into clergy abuse in the Catholic Church in Michigan. New AG Dana Nessel charged five priests with a combined 21 counts of sexual misconduct she announced during a press conference in May. 

Rev. Perrone co-founded a non-profit group called Opus Bono Sacerdotii in 2002 to support priests facing allegations of abuse. He denied allegations by the former altar boy when asked about it by the AP last month.


CLICK HERE FOR MORE STATE NEWS

Ticker tape parade set for Wednesday in New York City for World Cup champion USA women's soccer team

image13

LYON, FRANCE (VOA) — The heavily favored United States team defeated Netherlands 2-0 in the women's World Cup soccer final in Lyon, France, on Sunday to secure its fourth title and win back-to-back tournaments for the first time. The Americans defeated four other European teams — Sweden, Spain, France and England — on their way to the final, and dominated Sunday in defeating the reigning European champion Dutch.


U.S. star Megan Rapinoe scored the opening goal for the U.S. side on a penalty kick in the 61st minute, and teammate Rose Lavelle added a goal in the 69th minute to seal the victory. Rapinoe's goal gave her a total of six for the tournament, tying her with U.S. co-captain Alex Morgan and England's Ellen White.  A tie-breaker gave Rapinoe the Golden Boot award as the World Cup's top scorer, and she also took home the Golden Ball award as the tournament's top player.


New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has invited the World Cup champions for a ticker tape parade on Wednesday. 

From Washington, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Twitter, "Congratulations to the U.S. Women's Soccer Team on winning the World Cup! Great and exciting play. America is proud of you all!"


 Earlier in the month-long tournament, however, Trump had traded taunts with Rapinoe, after she said that in protest of Trump's presidency there was no way she would visit the White House even if he invited them for a post-tournament celebration. 


CLICK HERE FORE MORE SPORTS SECTION STORIES 


Trump claims 'biggest part of Mexico deal' not yet revealed; Mexican Foreign Secretary disputes president's statement

image14

WASHINGTON D.C. (VOA) —  U.S. President Donald Trump held up a piece of paper along the lawn at the White House Tuesday, saying it was his new immigration deal with Mexico that contains mystery provisions, even as Mexico says it has no idea what he is talking about.


"I'm going to let Mexico do the announcement at the right time," President Trump told reporters on a sun-splashed day in Washington on Tuesday. "I just give you my word. In here's the agreement." Asked if Mexico had agreed to become a safe third country to house migrants seeking asylum in the United States, Trump said, "I'm not going to say one way or the other." Earlier on Twitter, President Trump said, "Biggest part of deal with Mexico has not yet been revealed!"  


But on Monday, Mexican Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard held up a paper and pointed to the previously announced details, including Mexico's deployment of 6,000 troops to its border with Guatemala to thwart the surge of Central American migrants heading to the United States. "There is no other thing beyond what I have just explained," Ebrard said.


CLICK HERE FOR NATIONAL & WORLD NEWS

image15

image16

image17

Subscribe

Sign up to get each issue delivered straight to your inbox.

Contact Us

Send Message

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What are you thinking about?

Have a story idea for us? Would you like to write for us? 

Send us a message and let us know what you are thinking about.

Or call us at (810) 347-9803 or e-mail us at ccn90tv@gmail.com


MY AM ADVANTAGE

A Division of Tri-County Publishing Inc.